J Jeavons

Google Maps Pricing Structure

Hi,

Had this through today regarding the new google maps platform charges.

It seems Google are changing to google maps platform and as such anyone using the maps services will be automatically added or unable to use until they agree and provide billing information to use the google maps platform.

• Does this affect you?
  • Can we have another mapping platform via Bing or Open Street?

QUOTE:

Hi,

Today we are announcing important changes, including our new name - Google Maps Platform, a simplified product structure, pay as you go pricing for all, and more. Please take a few minutes to review the announcement to familiarize yourself with the upcoming changes.

We would like to highlight a few updates that may impact your implementation. Beginning June 11th, we are launching our new pricing plan and providing all users access to support. We’ll continue to offer a free tier — all developers will receive $200 of free monthly usage of our core products.

In addition, this change will require you to enable billing and associate it with all of your Google Maps Platform projects. Creating a billing account helps us better understand your usage so we can continue developing helpful products. It also allows you to scale easily with less downtime and fewer performance issues if your product grows beyond the $200 of free monthly usage. For additional visibility and control you can set daily quotas or billing alerts.

Thanks, I also received the email. The code is not changing you are getting a free $200 credit every month, if you have substantial traffic, then you may be billed incremetally above that depending on usage. You have to check their new pricing structure to see how this affects you and ensure that:

• Your project has billing activated
  • You have setup both the Google Maps Browser and Server API keys in the add-on configuration

GeoMaps is built entirely around the Google Maps API and cannot be used with a different map API. Re-writing the entire product or writing a new one is also not a possibility at this time due to the substantial investment that would be required to do that.

Hi,

Totally correct in what you say, however currently I have not hit the limit. However on the other hand, hitting the limit could make the project unprofitable and thus make it close and then there would be no need for renewal of license or updates, thus impacting more on jreviews project if you say there is no revenue for an updated version using another map provider.

It really is catch 22 I'm afraid!

Just looking through the pricing structure it does look very much like an overload on interactive options, i.e.:

Routes

Directions

Places

Geo Tagging etc.

It's all going to be charged and could easily eat through free €200 in no time, depending on users to the site.

May have to have map as a paid for addition. That could lessen the take up of listings also on my own platform which once again impacts feasibility and profitability!

If we are going to take on the Global leaders and provide alternative bespoke solutions for end users we need to be more resourceful in what we provide and who we provide for and with.

Facebook, Google and the likes are just controlling more and more of our internet.

All GeoMaps features will stop working if you don't assign a billing plan to the Google Console Project you use for JReviews. That includes maps, static maps, geocoding and proximity search. All of these make requests to the Google API services in order to work.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2018 at 11:47 AM, J Jeavons said:

Can we have another mapping platform via Bing or Open Street?

+1

i agree with you, a alternativ would be a good solution. I`m total up for a implementation for open street map. i would also pay for this.

furthermore "open street map" offers far better information for websites which are specialized in outdoor activities. on top of that it is a community driven information map. in direct comparison of the same coordinate point you can quickly see how much more details the "open street map" contains in contrast to "google maps". 

OpenStreetMap.png

googlemaps.png

Edited by n00bster

Once this kicks in, kindly post your usage / overage usage here with amounts you are paying per month so that this can be more thoroughly considered. We have only a handful of people commenting here which is not a crowd large enough to fund this project, which could go into the thousands of dollars to re-write the add-on or create a new version to support a different solution. 

Here are some obvious limitations with an all-free solution, other than the lack of a guaranteed quality of service.

• OSM doesn't allow performing address autocomplete queries and their geocoding service, called Nominatim, is not as smart. If you enter a partial string like "Ber" the first guess is not "Berlin", but instead "Ber, Timbuktu Mali" and since there is no autocomplete feature, the user can't choose the right option for him.
  • Nominatim (OSM's geocoding service) doesn't allow performing batch geocoding and they can blacklist you for this.
  • No free driving directions alternative.
  • No Streetview.
  • Not sure about the ability/performance of generating static maps with custom markers.
  • Requires loading separate plugins for different features, which means additional page requests, and also that some of these plugins are by 3rd party developers which can also create issues for future compatibility.

If any of the above is not accurate, feel free to comment and provide references with examples.

So while it may be possible to have an all-free alternative, I believe that it would be a subpar solution in terms of usability and with many missing features.

If another paid service is preferred over Google, which service would be the "chosen one" when there are so many options and each client prefers something else for their own reasons other than pricing.

Leaving the free-limited-solution aside for a second, has any of you done a pricing/feature comparison between different paid services to see if you are really better of with something other than Google?

Posted (edited)

Personally having to pay for the different views is a bit over the top. Then there is the possibility of bots?, mistaken page loads that are immediately abandoned, and the possibility of google search results pointing users to pages with maps in top results only because of the map with content over better content with no map. OK off the soap box...

For the time being maybe have the option to not load the map API or anything with the geomaps addon, at all on any page, and only load if/when users click a link or button as a choice. Not every user will actually use the map even though its loaded on the page and billed as such. Also a counter on those clicks for the billed functions would be helpful to check against ones bills from google as a checks and balances.

Anyway, just my two cents worth.

Cheers!

Daniel

Edited by DanielH

Alejandro, thank you for adding the user map load option to help lessen map loads and charges. As always you are on top of things.!!!

Cheers!

Daniel

I am glad you like it! The text is included in all the default.po files for the add-on as:

#: geomaps\locale/locale.php:28
msgid "GEOMAPS_SHOW_MAP_BTN"
msgstr "Show map"

So you can just add the msgid/msgstr pair to you language overrides and change it there. Remember to clear the file registry and browser cache after. Also, let me know the translation and I'll include it for  the next one.

Oh thanks,

found and edit this but forgot to clear the cache. 🤢

BTW.

It would be nice for page speed if the requests for the google maps just load, if the button was clicked. Would save 7 requests.

maps_requests.JPG

Too bad more people aren't complaining. I can no longer use Geomaps using Google Maps.

The first week the charges were implemented by Google, my bill was $1700. This was AFTER receiving the free $200 monthly credit AND a free $300 credit for adding my credit card. My projected monthly bill was over $7000.00 (USD). Hell no! I had to remove my Google Maps API Key to stop being charged. Of course, my Google maps now have the errors, since I'm not paying for them. Yes, I have a very busy website with almost a million visitors viewing over 14 million pages this year (so far).

I'm working on static maps to replace the Google maps. But would REALLY like GeoMaps to utilize a different mapping service like OpenMaps. I would regain my useful maps but not have the ridiculous charges!

32 minutes ago, Alejandro said:

Did you try enabling the feature that stops the map from loading until a button is clicked?

I haven't yet upgraded PHP or jReviews. That's a project for the near future, but I doubt it will eliminate my Google charges.

Just found billing thankfully and stopped it to prevent any overcharging.

Really need an alternative or this project for me is dead in the water.

3 hours ago, Larry Farquhar said:

but I doubt it will eliminate my Google charges

It will.

We have 10.000 users every day (3.5 Million a year) and after enable the new map button our costs are less than 10$ last three weeks. Like Alejandro wrote: The fewest users click the button to see the map or use a direction generation. Most users only read the content.

my project do not have that much traffic, but the feature what Alejandro added is indeed nice to control the loading of google maps script.

but as i have sad in a post before: google is far of when it comes to map details and community driven map informations - especially for landscape (outdoor) details. 
i will say it again, when there are some other persons what are interested to co-found a integration for "openstreetmap" - i'm in!

unfortunately i don't know that.
but it's important to me that interested people know that i would like to be there when someone takes care of the implementation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please refer to our Privacy Policy.