A guide to SEO in jReviews. Share your tips too!

bryan choo

Lets share tips we have learned here so we jReviews owners can compete with the likes of Yelp/Trip Advisor.

Tip 1: SEO Manager

Make sure you USE IT. And use it well. This has the biggest impact on your site's visibility in search engines. You should always have in your title

1) The listing name

2) The category

3) The country its from.

For e.g the title should be something dynamically keyword targeted like "Hilton New York Reviews - 5 Star Hotels in America"

And its basically something like {listing} reviews - {category} in {directory}

Add in your description: A mention of the word reviews? Followed by the summary of the listing. The way I do this is

Reviews from {directory} - {summary}

Note if your SEO manager does not work, its because of the joomla bug. There is a patch here you can download

http://docs.reviewsforjoomla.com/?title=Custom_title_set_in_SEO_Manager_not_working

---------------

Tip 2: Add additional markups from Schema.org

http://schema.org/

The default jreviews structured data markups are limited. You want to markup EVERY SINGLE FIELD that you can with itemprops. You can get this list at the schema website above. This will have a big impact on your search queries, and therefore traffic.

Tip 3: Rich Snippets

MAKE FULL USE THEM. Especially google authorship. Anything that makes the google result more attractive aka has your picture = MORE CLICKS.

Use this for your listing author and review authors. It also rewards contributions from your users more. Of course they need to be google authorship enabled. So just tell your core team.

Tip 4: Canonical Links?

In theory its supposed to make just one page of yours keep all its page rank but in practice google doesn't rely it much? Now this one im not sure what the verdict is yet and whether enabled it makes a difference or how it will affect tip 3. So I am not using it at the moment.

---------

I hope this was helpful. Guys please help to share your SEO tips here too!