Been using JReviews URL parameters, thinking of switching to Joomla

Steven Koontz

Hi everyone.

I have a big site that has been up for 18 months using the JReviews URL parameters /param:val, so I get paginated URLs like this: domain.com/category/menu/page:2/. I have 3134 listings and over 150,000 pages in the Google index.

It looks like JReviews is making an effort to clean up the way the Joomla URL parameters are digested by the search engines for ordered and paginated lists and I get the feeling that the proper setting should be to use Joomla URL parameters.

I tested switching over to Joomla parameters and the old JReviews URLs return a 400 error. That is good since I will be able to get rid of those old URLs entirely in the Google index without any complex and annoying redirects. Careful preparation of my new robots.txt file will allow me to exclude a lot of the superfluous stuff like ordered pages from the get-go..

Before I make a decision, can anyone comment on whether I should even bother doing this or not? What could be some unforseen pitfalls that I need to be aware of using Joomla URL parameters? This would be like a "fresh start" for my JReviews List and Custom List pages so I want to make sure everything is done perfectly this time.

Thanks