Creating SEF strings for menu items of the type "URL Link"

Sebastian Schalipp

Hi,

Joomla does not provide SEF functionality for menu items of the type "URL Link", since this menu type is meant to be used for outbound links.

For my jReviews city guide, I had to use URL links in my menu for submenu entries, which are in fact links to custom jReview fields. I have obtained these URLs by temporarily placing a "custom fields module" for certain fields and copying the URLs from there into the main menue as URL items.

This was actually a tip Alejandro gave me, to overcome the category depth limit of section > category, because the City Guide needed more depth like /berlin/nightlife/clubs/techno/.

My problem is now that these links will not be transformed by Joomla Core SEF, they still read like

index.php?option=com_jreviews&url=tag/buehnetyp/schauspielhaus/cat:19/&Itemid=4111

Is there any trick or hack any of you know of to transform URL type menue items to SEF strings? Since they are actually placed in the menu structure, they do have a proper Itemid, so SEF should work if I can only make Joomla transform them.

I have also tried to change the menu entries to "Alias (menu link)" and point these to a hidden menue with the URL links, hoping that Joomla would transform the Alias menu entries, but no luck.

Anybody has an idea?

Thanks,

Sebastian