Pre-populate a field based on the User ID for new listings...

Jerry Loberg

I need to be able to pre-populate a field based on the User ID for new listings. AND if possible restrict certain fields based on User ID.

I am creating User IDs for each of the TV networks allowing them to submit new listings for their own networks. To make life simplier and reduce errors I want to have the system pre-populate the network for them (right now when I create a listing the networks are in a dropdown). Also, because of different video formats from each of the networks I have had to create various fileds to allow videos to work based on the network. Obviously if a FOX employee is creating a listing, they do not need to see the field for NBC's video field.

If you feel you have ideas on how to accomplish this please get with me share your thoughts and a ball park of what it would cost.

I have an idea on how I would like to see it done because it would support other ideas I have. What about cookie or session variable that would follow through the user's session? Reason I mention this is IF I wanted to extend the concept to something like an affiliate program. If a user comes in with a code, I may want to have the system remember that code so I can either display certain content (ie the concept above OR maybe that code would cause the system to only display certain content, ie Filtered based on a field. Again, if your ineterested get with me and we can discuss further.)

Jerry

TVTimes.com