Important action points missing in popups

Adriano A.

Many websites' purpose is to get their users to register. Users are willing to register if they see that there are some functions of the website that they cannot use as guests. For example the voting function or the "add to favorites function".

1. In Jreviews, when I try to click on the stars to vote (or leave a review), nothing happens, not even a popup saying that I would need to be registered in order to vote. And that's an option that might convince me to register to the website.
  2. If I click on "Add to favorites" or "Add to list" a simple popup appears, with no "call to action" buttons. So I simply close the popup and, in most of the cases, I don't go search for the register link somewhere. And I don't register to the website I'm browsing as a guest.

I was visiting brainyquotes.com earlier today and I noticed that if I click on the heart symbol or the plus symbol, I get two really striking pop-ups with call-to-action buttons. In this case I'm really invited to register to the site and there's immediately a link that allows me to do it. The favorites popup even has a bright red heart in the middle that strikes the user's attention.

It would be just great to have such inviting and useful pop-ups. Maybe even one when clicking on the stars to vote, like in the last image I'm posting.

jreviews.png

popup3.png

popup4.png

brainyquote.png

popup.png

popup2.png

popup5.png