JReviews is the best selling Joomla Reviews Component and WordPress Reviews Plugin. It's also in a class of its own as a Business Directory.
Photo

Joomla 3.8 compatibility - Update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:40 AM

Yesterday several users updated to Joomla 3.8 and immediately started having problems with some JReviews links not working correctly due to changes in the routing system even when used in Stable mode, which is the default, and meant no changes from Joomla 3.7.

I am attaching an updated JRevies SEF Plugin to fix this issue and also an error that appears when trying to edit modules in the administration. You can install it using the Joomla Extensions Manager. You should not enable the Experimental routing mode in the Joomla Articles / Options/ Integration tab because it will not work with the JReviews SEF Plugin.

Update Sep 28: If you use the Joomla language filter, then at this time the JReviews SEF Plugin will not work with Joomla 3.8 when the language filter plugin is also enabled.

Please report any additional issues you find below. If new issues don't come up, then we'll proceed to release an update that includes the updated plugin.

Update Oct 7: JReviews 2.7.20.1 was released and includes all the fixes from the attached plugins, plus a few more related to the Joomla language filter and the use of index.php in URLs. If you are using Joomla 3.8.x you are advised to upgrade to the latest version of JReviews and no longer install the plugins attached to this post.

Attached Files

Edited by Alejandro, 07 October 2017 - 10:18 AM.
Added a new version of plugin for backwards compatibility with PHP5.5

• Edvardsen, Michel, Haseeb Jamal and 2 others like this

#2 Storebuilder

Storebuilder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

Brilliant thank you!

Why don't I always ask you first!

Tony

#3 brigadiar

brigadiar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

thx 

#4 testeuse

testeuse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

SOrry, i did not read the text and installed the new plugin.

My site is no longer working : The page you are looking for can't be found
Error 0

And on admin can't do anything also : Une erreur s'est produite :
0 Invalid event handler.

What can i do now please?

#5 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

What versions are you using? Best way to get help on this is to submit a ticket with access.

#6 Michel

Michel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

SOrry, i did not read the text and installed the new plugin.

My site is no longer working : The page you are looking for can't be found
Error 0

And on admin can't do anything also : Une erreur s'est produite :
0 Invalid event handler.

What can i do now please?

Did you update joomla to 3.8 or are you on an earlier version? Due I tested this issue last night and this evening and everything looks fine with this plugin update.

#7 Kurt Bakke

Kurt Bakke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

Thank you, it worked :)

#8 testeuse

testeuse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:53 PM

What versions are you using? Best way to get help on this is to submit a ticket with access.

I am using an old version :  v2.7.13.1

I sent you a ticket, thank you for your help.

#9 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

This version of JReviews was released in October of 2016 so it was never tested with Joomla 3.8. As you can see even the latest version had problems. Joomla 3.8 is not a trial update and many people have reported issues after upgrading.

#10 Edvardsen

Edvardsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:38 AM

Thanks!

Works like a charm! 8)

Regards

Edvardsen :)

#11 mojito

mojito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

The patch does fix the bug but now I found that my detail pages do not load and instead the category page just seems to reload.
I have JR SEF enabled and not the Joomla one.
I updated to 3.8 it broke the menus and modules in backend as everyone saw..
Now however I cant access the detail pages..

https://style-review...t4013-23-review

Anyone else have this. BTW I had by this time set the experimental new URL setting in motion and have reverted them back since I read what I did. This should be reversible surely?

http://style-review.com stylish things and people reviewed !

#12 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

The updated plugin should fix both the admin menu/module editing issues, as well as the front-end routing issues for detail pages. Based on the account information I can see for this site, like user testeuse, you seem to be using an outdated version of JReviews that was never tested with Joomla 3.8. Maybe that has something to do with the front-end routing issue.

#13 mojito

mojito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:51 AM

Well it isn't illegal I always bought your products in the past when things went well, and as far as I am aware you allow me to post questions here? I can't afford to update for my hobbyist websites. Don't hate me but its no longer working for me.

http://style-review.com stylish things and people reviewed !

#14 anand

anand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:52 AM

me too having problems.. 

jreview latest version

was showing index.php in url before uploading the sef plugin..

once uploaded the whole site is broken including admin part

#15 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

@mojito: I am simply stating the facts. We cannot guarantee forward compatibility with old versions of JReviews that pre-date any new releases of Joomla, WordPress, PHP or 3rd party API integrations. Someone has to actually put in the work to ensure the code remains compatible and that's one of the reasons why it's important to keep JReviews up to date if you plan on upgrading Joomla, WordPress or PHP. I went out of my way to post the plugin publicly when I could have just bundled it with a new update of JReviews. This only helps clients with expired upgrades.  If you need help troubleshooting the issue I can do that as well, but you need to renew your support first.

@anand: I found that the plugin would cause site and admin to fail if you are using PHP 5.5 or lower. I just posted a new plugin package in the first post so you can try that if that's your situation. Otherwise, you can submit a ticket and I will look into it for you. In the meantime, if you FTP to your site and go to /plugins/system/jreviews_sef and rename that folder that should disable the plugin.

• Haseeb Jamal likes this

#16 pabalosa1

pabalosa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:23 PM

I haven't upgraded joomla to 3.8 yet. Giving it a bit more time.

So, best to upgrade JR first ( I'm about a version behind at the moment I think ? ), and then add the patched plugin, and then joomla ?

Edited by pabalosa1, 22 September 2017 - 10:24 PM.

#17 anand

anand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:14 PM

now it works fine.. 

thanks

#18 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:56 AM

@pabalosa1: that is correct.

#19 chris-1475802496

chris-1475802496

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

The updated plugin should fix both the admin menu/module editing issues, as well as the front-end routing issues for detail pages. Based on the account information I can see for this site, like user testeuse, you seem to be using an outdated version of JReviews that was never tested with Joomla 3.8. Maybe that has something to do with the front-end routing issue.

Alejandro,

I'm running version 3.8 and updated the sef plug in as you described.  However, the advanced search listings are still not working.

Check out this page:  https://www.schoolte...ery=all&cat=126

On the lower left hand column, try selecting "Behavior/Discipline"  7 responses show up.  The individual ITEM links work, but the "VIEW ALL" still takes visitors to a random category . . .

Any ideas?

-Chris

#20 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

@chris: This one is not related to Joomla 3.8 nor the SEF Plugin. Either the module or search in general looks to be configured to use the current menu id and that messes up the search results URL which uses the current page and performs a different search when you click on it. You should create a JReviews Menu for Advanced Search. Then check the module settings and check if you have any value entered in "Specify Itemid of JReviews menu for result url" and remove it and also check in JReviews Configuration / Search if you have it set to use the current page for search results and change that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users