Looking for a solution for dealing with "State"

aphils

It appears that the only way the "map it" / autopopulate-values of address fields works is if the field types are set to "text" -- not select fields.

I have a legacy "state" field which is a single-select type field with predefined options.  It's unfriendly to have geomaps do all the hard work of the city and other location fields, but then require the user to select a state manually.  I'd like to implement a solution where the state is "selected" by geomaps, but can't think of any way to do this short of creating a new field, copying the older values into it, etc.

I'm not really sure what the options are here, short of exporting all the listings, reworking the values to remove the * (e.g., *California*) then, re-importing, or doing some magic with sql. 

Ideally, I'd LOVE to somehow keep the state as a select field -- to properly constrain the options -- but have the value be driven by Geomaps.... that is, ideally!

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to get to the goal, which is: have geomaps populate the state value for the listing, but not have to create a new "state" field (and thereby confuse the old listings.)

Hope that makes sense... Thanks in advance!