OpenSource Technologies - A review

John Whelan

I recently hired Sanjay Kumar of OpenSource Technologies through oDesk to do some customization work on the GeoMaps component of my site.  During our first conversation via Skype, it was clear to me that Sanjay had a good understanding of both Joomla and JReviews.  I provided a detailed requirement and he quickly provided an budget estimate for the project.

The project was reasonably complex involving changes to controllers, theme files, javascript files and addition of database triggers.  The work was completed quickly and the code that was returned to me was neat, well-written and well-commented.  This made it easy for me to tweak it as necessary, and it exactly met the requirements that I had provided.

Sanjay stuck closely to the initial estimate, coming in at less than 10% over budget.  This was hugely important for me as being 'on time and on budget' is a hallmark of my professional life.

Would I work with Sanjay again? Yes.

Would I recommend him to others? Yes.

My only other comment is that before anyone hires a contractor for any project is that you have a good understanding of how Joomla & Jreviews work.  Know the file structure and the files.  And, try to have some understanding of the code.  This will allow you to be highly specific in providing your requirements and improve your ability to communicate with the contractor.

- John Whelan