Weekly Update #1: JReviews v2.4

Alejandro

We are still several weeks away from being able to release the first beta of v2.4 so I am going to start giving weekly announcements to keep you updated. Since it's impossible for me to give an exact release date, this is the best next thing I can offer.

The PlayGround 2.0 site we made available was to showcase the new capabilities for those of you who have been patiently waiting for some of these features for several years. You now know they are real and they are coming in the next version.

Our next development effort, what we are doing now, is refactoring the View layer in JReviews. This refers to the themes and javascript code. We are re-writing all of the code to be closer to having Unobstrusive Javascript and cleaner CSS. There are many benefits of doing this, but the most important I will mention are cleaner theme files which are easier to customize and cleaner javascript code that is easier to maintain. Since we are also re-writing the javascript code, we are improving it to make it faster.

One of the consequences of doing this is that we also need to modify the Controllers in JReviews as we try to create our own internal standard to make and receive ajax requests. This means we have to modify practically every file in JReviews. Since we are making this change in both the front and admin sides the amount of work required to complete this is in the hundreds if not thousands of hours.

In the past two weeks we've done the initial pass of refactoring the whole front-end of JReviews and started working on the admin side. We estimate, and we are very bad at making estimates!, that this will take another 2 to three 3 weeks. Once that's finished we'll do another pass to make sure everything is consistent. Then we'll do another round of testing to fix any obvious bugs before releasing it to you as beta.