JReviews and Joomla 1.6

Alejandro

Now that J1.6 beta is out there will be a increasing number of posts in this forum about JReviews compatibility with it. I will be directing everyone to this post because I really don't have time to answer each of those posts specifically.

It will be a major effort to allow JReviews to work with J1.6. It will be done eventually, but I don't know when. Keep in mind that all the great stuff in J1.6 means that if you want to take advantage of multi-level categories most likely your urls will change. Anyone who has spent a significant amount of time building and promoting their sites knows that this is terrible for SEO and will affect your traffic. So migrating to J1.6 without a complete strategy on how you will keep your urls is not simple either.

Those that have been around for several years know the migration to J1.5 wasn't easy, it required rewriting the whole code to abstract it from Joomla and make it compatible in both Joomla 1.0 and Joomla 1.5. Today the challenge faced for J1.6 compatibility is comparable because I need to maintain backwards compatibility for those users that don't really care about a J1.6 upgrade while making some important changes in the code and functionality to account for the new J1.6 way of doing things. It doesn't affect just JReviews, it affects add-ons as well.

In short. I don't know when this will be done, or even if it will be done before the stable release of J1.6, but I will be looking into it asap and make an announcement when appropriate. If you are expecting to test JReviews with J1.6 right away, that's not going to be possible.