Jonathan Roseland

"This page didn't load Google Maps correctly" Sitewide

I've been working on a new JReviews website, the geomap was working fine up until yesterday but now it's not working as you can see here on my website http://marketplace.gold/local

Oddly sometimes the map will load and appear for just a second but then it will disappear and it says..

Oops! Something went wrong.

This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details.

I'm not sure what the problem is as I haven't changed any of the geomap settings. In my google console I've restricted my server keys to my domain http://marketplace.gold

Thanks!

I can't tell you how Google rolls this thing out or how it's going to start affecting websites around the world, because I don't know that. What i can tell you is that if you don't have a billing account associated, the map services won't work. Do you have a billing account associated? Just checking the console logs on your website, the error that Google is throwing makes me think that it's a possibility you don't.

Because one of the points mentioned on that URL for reasons for this error is:

Billing has not been enabled on your account.

OK well it's odd that the map listings do load but then they disappear and it says that there is a java script error. So it does seem to be loading.

I just linked a billing account as you can see here.

114844706_marketplace.goldbilling.jpg.bc8046fc7a0daf95d9e0ad01081c2fe1.jpg

My other website has no associated billing account and the geomap seems to be loading.

Thanks!

Google generates the javascript error with the message I quoted above and that's the only reason why it doesn't work. Go to the link mentioned in that error and you can see the possible reasons Google gives for that error.

• The request is missing an API key.
  • Billing has not been enabled on your account.
  • The provided billing method is invalid (for example an expired credit card).
  • A self-imposed daily limit has been exceeded.

If you just associated a billing account, then maybe you have to wait some time for it to become active.

I don't think this goes by day anymore. You get $200 free credit per month and if you use up that credit, you get charged for incremental usage. You can set a daily max spend if you want as well, but you don't get fresh new "credits" every day if you used up the previous day limits as it worked in the past.  You should be able to see in your Google Console account what your API usage and pro-forma bill looks like.

Hmm...

The odd thing is that the geomap does load and appear for a moment but then it goes away and displays the error message. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my billing account. The geomap was working fine last week.

You have my website credentials do you want to login into my site?

I understand that this is confusing, but regardless of what was be before, the issue now is that Google doesn't want to let the API work on this domain. The error is clear

2018-08-08_07-53-33.jpeg

And the fact that the map shows for a second and then disappears is more of an indication that this is what is happening, rather than an error in the code, because the map does in fact work for a brief moment. Above you can see the error captured from the console on your site.

I can take a look at this with the ticket you already opened, but a complete picture is only possible if you also add me to your Google Console project as an authorized user so I can take a look at that for you as well. I'll give an email via ticket once I take a look at it later today.