J Jeavons

Google Maps Pricing Structure

I finally have some results on my website (www.concretedisciples.com) Bottom line is revenue is far less than the expense of keeping the API's on all the time. I'll have to go to the button route.

Oct 1-4 billing is at $42 (5,500 page views) so I would hit the $200 credit about Oct 20. 

I'll be working on the upgrades and implementing the map click button in the coming week.

I think Google is crazy, this is putting sites out of business (They've been doing it other ways for a long time), a lot of whom run google ads (like myself). 

I have been vocal on the "g" thing in the past. They have manipulated the web and webmasters to this point of thinking we cannot have a site without them. "G" would say we need to do this or that, then change the rules then repeat the process. Its our fault we as a whole fell for the bait. If the map thing is frustrating just wait for the other services you've relied on for years to become a fee based service as well.

I'm considering going a bit further with the new jreviews button and maps, by only showing the button to paid users of paid listings. Somehow  "g" will find it to be some sort of violation if only paid users have access to their products or if receiving monies before allowing access but worth a shot.

Thanks for your input thus far. Lets see how this plays out before jumping into another solution. There are other things I would rather see in jreviews before a new map feature.

Alejndro,

Please consider the implications to yourself here also. Clearly from the comments you can see there's a possibility to affect your direct income from the lack of renewals?

Not trying to offend anyone but lets be reasonable and everyone calm down.

There's an affect to Alejandro's income already by users who do not renew their packages with jreviews then demand that their be money spent for other options scripted to save a buck for themselves. Some may complain about the costs without ever being charged by "g" or upgrading to use the new button option, yet someone has to pay for new map options. To threaten someone using the "you will loose income" statement about income they are not getting anyway is not a good way to go about it. After JReviews' track record and excellent support I trust Alejandro's judgement and timing.

I suggest implementing the button Alejandro added and see what your costs are ,if any at all, before demanding jreviews spend money on this. There are many more other large jreviews site owners who have not stated anything about the costs or wanting new options yet. Many have not added the new button option. I think it would be best to see what they have to report from the button usage before flying off the handle.

Site owners who cannot afford jreviews, a domain name, and hosting for the year are in the wrong business. Any business that cannot afford the minimal cost for a sites expenses at the joomla/jreviews level needs to look for a different line of work. My Digital Ocean hosting and everything, JR included, for one site is is roughly $550/yr. Most broke people spend that on soft drinks, booze, junk food, tobacco products or other wasted expenses in only a few months.

Please don't use the threat tone towards Alejandro, he has one of the best products and SERVICE found anywhere in this market.

Excuse me, Tommi. But Sites with less traffic doesn't have a problem with the costs and can use Google Maps. Sites with much traffic can use the implemented Button to reduce the costs.
I'm not fine with G and their business model, but I agree with Daniel, that there were many other important things that Alejandro have on his todo list.

DanielH

I haven't threatened anyone!

All I have done is try and point out "possible" loss of income if Alejandro doesn't offer some alternative mapping option.

Don't forget we are customers also!

I guess it depends on your website and traffic. Geomaps is VERY important to me. Google hit me with a $1700 bill for using their maps in the first week they charged. My website is based on a campground directory and uses Google maps extensively. We're BUSY! So far in 2018, I've had over 16 MILLION pages viewed. 60 - 75% of these pages normally would have a map on them, but I've had to disable the maps. Temporarily, I've started creating a map link to Google's map website. On a limited basis, I've also starting using another product to display OpenMaps, but it's not integrated with jReviews.

For my site, a new Geomap add-on to utilize Openmaps is a VERY HIGH priority.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please refer to our Privacy Policy.