Listing title alternates

NorCal

this would literally be an "alias" but since that has a different and important context for Joomla, I'm using a different word.  This is what I am wondering as I've encountered this issue repeatedly for different types of listings:

Let's say you have a venue listing like "Madison Square Garden" when people go looking for it in an alphabetical list for example or a search, the venue might have a common alternative name like "MSG" that is used as often or even in some cases, more often than it's formal name/title.  This same thing happens for all types of listings.  For example people.  Many famous people have nicknames.  A lot of people might not even know the real name of certain famous people/celebrities.  Do you know the actual name of Prince or Magic Johnson...  Lil Wayne?   Some places like restaurants, venues or even products get renamed but people still refer to them by their former name.  So if I'm searching for Magic Johnson in a list of basketball player names but my directory has him as his proper name "Earvin" I won't find him via the list within the "M" or on a search.  For something like this it is further complicated by the fact that even people that knew his actual first name, might misspell it as "Irvin" so wouldn't find him on a search for that either or within the "I" in an alphabetical.

Is there a way to create some sort of alias in a listing so that if someone searched for "MSG" they'd get a link to the "Madison Square Garden" listing?  The "Earvin Johnson" listing would come up in searches for "Magic Johnson" "Irvin Magic Johnson and "Irvin" would come up?

Archived