JReviews is the best selling Joomla Reviews Component and WordPress Reviews Plugin. It's also in a class of its own as a Business Directory.
Photo

ionCube for PHP 7.1

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:05 AM

Looks like ionCube released loaders for PHP 7.1 this month. Have they been tested with jReviews yet?

#2 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:05 AM

I checked the news and it says the loaders will only work with the forthcoming  encoder version 10. Since that has not been released yet, then JReviews will not work with PHP 7.1 at this time. Even after that encoder is released we would still need to release an update to JReviews to make it compatible. It also remains to be seen if the same package will work on both PHP 7 versions because if new leaders are needed for PHP 7.1 I doubt that package will also work on PHP 7.0.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

Okay Thanks. I have been waiting a while to get my site switched from PHP 5.6 to 7.1. Hopefully the encoder will be released soon.

#4 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

The benefit of using PHP 7.0 over 5.6 is already huge so you shouldn't be waiting if you want to take advantage of this unless your host doesn't allow you to use 7.0.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

It looks like the version 10 encoders are released now that support PHP 7.1. Will we see this support in the next release?

#6 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Compatibility will come in due time. I have a lot going on right now and this isn't a make or break situation. It requires changes both in JReviews and the remote updates system to support two different versions of PHP and most likely you won't be able to update remotely the first time. I'll announce it when it's available.

• n00bster likes this

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

Okay, Thanks!

#8 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

Tom, could you submit a ticket? I am going to upgrade the software on my end and I can create a 7.1 package to share with you if you want to start using it and test it. This is much easier than implementing the automatic delivery of the correct package for remote updates.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

Sure I will help test. It will be on my produciton site though.

Once the correct encoded files are updated will the auto updated continue to work for any later versions or do the encoded files usually get overwritten with each new version?

#10 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

If you do decide to start using a PHP 7.1 version you won't be able to use remote updates until the JReviews and remote updates system has been upgraded to support this PHP version. 

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

You mention the need to uninstall add-ons and to reinstall them. No settings and other info should be lost doing this correct?

#12 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

That is correct. Everything is stored in the database which remains untouched. Same process was followed when PHP 7.0 compatibility was added.

#13 Daniel.de

Daniel.de

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

Hi Alejandro,

it's great that we can use PHP 7.1. now. You wrote:

"

• If you have any add-ons installed, you need to uninstall them and re-install again through the remote installer. This will ensure you get the PHP 7.1 version of the add-ons."

What about the settings of the addons when I uninstall it? Do I have to do it again after re-install it?

Cheers

#14 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

Merged with a similar question. You don't lose settings or data. But as always, having a backup is the only insurance you have in case something goes wrong.

• n00bster and Daniel.de like this

#15 Richard A

Richard A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

Quick Question - if staying on php7.0 at this time, do i just update in the normal way within JReviews admin to 2.7.19.2?

If I decide to update later this year to php7.1, what process do i follow to update JReviews at that time if already on a release higher than 2.7.19.2?

#16 Alejandro

Alejandro

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31834 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

You continue upgrading now as you did before. The steps to switch over to PHP 7.1 in the future are the same as those outlined in the announcement.

#17 Richard A

Richard A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

Perfect, thank you Alejandro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users