Elvic

Automatically add a placeholder image to a listing without image?

Afternoon all, 

I've just been looking at some of our Detail Page Widgets and could do with some help.

For Detail Page Widgets the layout (across the page) looks a bit odd if some listings have images and some don't.  Is there anyway for the system to automatically add a placeholder image if a user adds a listing which doesn't have an image?  Taking that one step further, could we automatically add a different image for each category, i.e. a placeholder image for an event listing, a different placeholder image for a venue listing etc, etc?

TIA

:)

You can use the default image setting. If you add a category image for each of your Joomla categories then than's the image that will be used. Otherwise you can also specify a default image per listing type.

2017-03-21_14-16-36.png

Thanks for that. I was just wondering the same myself (with Wordpress). Question, if I wanted to replace the default versions (seems to be different sizes) of "nophoto.png" can the override be used for this or what is the recommended process?

WordPress, unlike Joomla, doesn't have a native feature to assign images to categories, so you have to use the nophoto feature for this purpose. Not sure what the question is about the sizes. In the case of default images JReviews will create a single sitewide thumbnail for any dimensions you specify for your thumbnails and will use those accordingly.

Apologies, I was referring specifically to the listing photo rather than the category photo. So if I want to replace the existing image with my own custom one should I change the below "No Image Path" URL or replace "nophoto.png" with my own?

wp-content/plugins/jreviews/jreviews/views/themes/default/theme_images/nophoto.png

Edited by belltree

Apologies, I was referring specifically to the listing photo rather than the category photo. So if I want to replace the existing image with my own custom one should I change the below "No Image Path" URL or replace "nophoto.png" with my own?

wp-content/plugins/jreviews/jreviews/views/themes/default/theme_images/nophoto.png

It's better to upload your custom image to a location outside jreviews and add that path to the setting (i.e. images/placeholder.png)

Thanks Alejandro, 

You can use the default image setting. If you add a category image for each of your Joomla categories then than's the image that will be used.

If we used this method would the category image be replaced by an image uploaded by the user or would the category image always be present on the listing along side any uploaded media?  We only want a default image where the user fails to upload an image 'of their own.

Hi Alejandro, 

I added some category images which work fine if there are no child categories, however if there are child categories we get very large thumbnails appear on the list page - please see attachment.  I cannot figure out how to reduce  the image size?

Edited by Elvic

Hi Alejandro & Kristian, 

Is it possible to have default images for each child category?

Best regards

Clive

Have you tried selecting the image for each category in the Joomla category manager and enabling the setting to use category images as defaults in JReviews?

Yeah sorry, being daft.  I had it in my head that you could only use a master category image - my bad!

Posted (edited)

hello.

sorry for opening the thread again.

i dont get it worked.

set on "Listing Types Manager"the  no image path (images/stories/Breitensport/Laufsport/laufen-wien-frauenlauf-600.JPG) and "Use Default Image" to Yes.

but i dont see the image on a listing page with no images.

for example here: https://www.hdsports.de/laufen/neujahrs-teamlauf

i tried also to set an in the category, but this also doesnt worked.

have i forgotten anything?

Edited by www.HDsports.at

That listing has a main media photo selected, which is the cover photo. In list pages it shows up, and it the detail page it shows up.

List page: https://www.hdsports.de/suchen/search-results?keywords=Neujahrs-Teamlauf+Coburg

Detail page: https://www.hdsports.de/laufen/neujahrs-teamlauf

If there's a main photo assigned, then that's the photo that will be used. You can't have both a main media photo you assign and a default photo.

Sorry, this was my mistake. i added a picture.

but when i delete it (i have now deleted it) i see a blue screen on the listing detail page.

on the search page i see the "no-image" photo, but on listing detail page there is not the no-image photo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please refer to our Privacy Policy.