Sign in to follow this  
Vasilij Zadov

Review rating on mobile doesn't work properly

Hi,

After the latest update, when you have added a new advanced filtering/ratings, I have my ratings broken on mobile only.

Here is how it looks now on mobile (on the left) and on the right is how it used to look (and still looks if you resize browser on PC, not on mobile). Thats on iOS if it helps.

701064ac9ad7455d9d162f08daf9c85c.jpg

As mentioned in the release announcement the rating selector has been changed to a slider for mobile, so that's what you should be seeing. You can check on our demo site. If it's not working, there may be a conflict with something else and we would need to have access to the page where we can see the problem.

The best user experience in mobile is with the slider so we would like to be able to ensure that it works correctly for everyone. Unfortunately, we cannot do that if someone has an issue that we cannot replicate and we can't get access to check what is causing it to fix it.

Right now the only way to disable the slider for mobile is to modify this file:

Joomla: /components/com_jreviews/jreviews/controllers/my_controller.php

WordPress: /wp-content/plugins/jreviews/jreviews/controllers/my_controller.php

And comment or remove these lines:

if (Configure::read('System.isMobile')) {
            $this->Config->rating_selector = 'slider';
        }

Even without the slider selector the experience will be better than before with the larger stars.

Ok thanks Alejandro. I have actually found that it's a CSS which causing this issue as when I use your latest CSS it breaks some of my stuff, so I have decided not to use it yet.

I disagree with you that slider selector experience will work better than my large stars as it is an easy one click to rate it and they are big enough to be able click easily. Also, when slider selector is close to the edge of the screen you have a risk of swiping page back on mobile (on iPhone), which I have just done myself, so it could cause some issues to the user. Another UX strong point for stars is that visually you can see this is a rating thing without even reading it, so it's clear to the user. Plus the fact that when you select 1-5 stars you can clearly see the rating without reading number (stars that are selected will be purple and not active grey in my example) and this is a much nicer visual way. 

Btw - Is it somehow possible to see only new CSS code that you have created recently? As it break quite a lot of my code, I was thinking to just copy some of it, like new calendar and this slider functionality.

Edited by Vasilij Zadov

That's fine, we don't need to agree because it's a matter of opinion. We'll see if we add a mobile rating slider selector so they can be controlled separately.

Btw - Is it somehow possible to see only new CSS code that you have created recently? As it break quite a lot of my code, I was thinking to just copy some of it, like new calendar and this slider functionality.

Use a file comparison tool to check for changes in files as mentioned in this article

Yeah I agree, although I am actually a UX/UI designer I will leave this discussion. Having an option for slider/standard stars would be a nice feature for the future. For now, I have used your solution and it worked, so thanks a lot. Just a small amend, you have missed one folder in your path for wordpress, it should be /wp-content/plugins/jreviews/jreviews/controllers/my_controller.php

The best user experience in mobile is with the slider so we would like to be able to ensure that it works correctly for everyone. Unfortunately, we cannot do that if someone has an issue that we cannot replicate and we can't get access to check what is causing it to fix it.

Right now the only way to disable the slider for mobile is to modify this file:

Joomla: /components/com_jreviews/jreviews/controllers/my_controller.php

WordPress: /wp-content/jreviews/jreviews/controllers/my_controller.php

And comment or remove these lines:

if (Configure::read('System.isMobile')) {
            $this->Config->rating_selector = 'slider';
        }

Even without the slider selector the experience will be better than before with the larger stars.

Also, thanks for sharing the comparison tool article, thats exactly what I wanted.

Oops. Sorry about the path and thank you for letting me know. It's updated now. 

In cases where there's a difference of opinion and the solution is as simple as having a new setting we always try to do that, so you can look forward to having that setting and one less override. 

We would be happy to hear from you about any other suggestions you may have about improving the user experience which can move the product forward so if you are willing to share those, please submit a ticket so we may consider them for a future update.

Thanks Alejandro. I am very happy with your product in overall, you definitely done a great job with a functionality and features. Its mainly a UX/design things I would like to improve and doing it myself for my site through overwrites, which sometimes is quite hard.

I like that you listen to your customers and I will definitely submit some ideas for a next update.