UserProfiles Add-on usage...

DanielH

Hello,

I see this once again as an awesome addon by jReviews. In trying to figure out how or what to use it for. I can see some of its benefits. But....

Joomla already has an extended user profile allowing additional information but without the inage/profile pic being the only thing missing at registration or editing a profile. Can't the everywhere extension work with this? The way I am seeing this is a user still needs to actually register on the joomla side (if requiring registration) then this is an option to again create a "public profile"?

I am left wondering does this jReviews profile then control access and permissions (as standard joomla user groups)  or is this still handled by joomla and the new profile does nothing more then allow a public profile with avatar/image and whatever custom fields implimented in the listing type? I take it that this is not meant to handle registration as joomla or other social extensions do?

If this still works as a listing type then I take it all works as any listing using all functions like related listing fields. Someone else mentioned it as a way to use a company profile say large corporations or chain companies then all other "related listings" (if set up correctly) will work the same as we already have. I've already done this using jReviews current functionallity by creating manufacturer/hotel chain/franchise categories and listing types that act as a corporate profile for them. Then geo listings by city/state for hotels/dealers of/service providers of etc... said companies that show the relations.

If this addon replaces the joomla registration I can see it as a very useful tool but if already being able to create a category structure with company profiles (as a listing) and related listings tools that are already in place which we can do now, why would this be needed?

Please don't take this all wrong. Just trying to understand is usefulness, if actually needing it or how it will enhance the site structure I already have. For 39 bucks I can give it a test drive.

:::Reading over the docs again, and looking at the MyLists addon, jReviews is on the short side of having a light weight social addon in the making. Why not just git-er-done and come up with one? Your products are by far of the best throughout the joomla community.

Thank you

Daniel

Edited by DanielH