Filter/tag category listings or make advanced search module mimic similar

dealio

I've seen sites where you can filter listings  dynamically. For example; very similar to the jreviews current tag system however as you click on additional tags it refines results instead of resetting.

Example case scenario:

I'm browsing a list of cars and want to filter by 4door vs 2door:

I click on the tag "2 door"

index.php?option=com_jreviews&Itemid=241&url=tag/doors/2/

Then as I'm viewing the results I decide I also want to"refine" those results and filter by transmission type "automatic"

so I click on tag: automatic

index.php?option=com_jreviews&Itemid=241&url=tag/doors/2/=and=tag/transmission/automatic <---- add transmission type somewhere here without resetting.

Then, as I'm browsing those result I now decide out of this current result give me all vehicles that has under 120k miles on it

... etc.

This process is a natural way to view and filter data when make a choice between large lists of products or services. I tried to mimic this behavior using the advanced search form module. But the limitation of the single select drop down without the ability to select multiple values in the search prevented me from accomplishing similar behavior.

It's probably difficult to do, but please consider this. I really like the tag system and if it can be extended some how to remember the current result set, this type of browsing can be very useful for any type of jreviews site where there is a lot of listing and several custom fields attributes tied to a listing type.

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere on the forums.

Deal :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...